Fifty (or so) things to do in this lifetime
Fire a gun.DONE, July 18, 2009.
- Learn to ride a Vespa.
- Give blood.
- Write a novel.
- Renew my passport and use it.
- Go on a road trip the length of Route 66.
- Drink a bottle of wine that costs more than my age at the time.
- Hike the Devil’s Chair.
- Have a honeymoon.
- Go to cooking school in Sicily.
- And go here.
- See the Northern Lights.
- Go for a ride in a hot air balloon.
- Take the Coast Starlight train up to Seattle.
- Learn to belly dance.
- Spend a whole day at a spa.
- Go camping (in a tent!) with my family.
- Drive more than 100 miles per hour (preferably legally).
Take Sam to see his first movie in the theater.DONE, May 23, 2010, TOY STORY 3.
- Take Sam to his first concert.
- See Sam off to his first concert sans-parent.
- Drink a margarita in Mexico.
- Drink rum (or possibly just beer) in the Virgin Islands.
- Eat bread and cheese in France.
- Eat pizza in Italy.
- Play Dungeons & Dragons.
- Tour the Guinness brewery and drink a pint.
- While I’m in the neighborhood, visit the Bushmills distillery.
- Take a Laura Ingalls Wilder tour of the U.S. and see her house in Mansfield and Almanzo’s family farm in Malone.
- Spin in circles on top of a mountain while singing “The Hills Are Alive.”
- Sleep on a boat.
- Go to a Dodgers game and sit in the good seats.
- See the other three oceans.
Bake bread. (Seriously, how have I never done this?)DONE, September 22, 2009
- Get tattoos of my children’s zodiac symbols.
- Marry Will for a third time. Or, to be more mundane, renew our vows.
Teach someone to knit.DONE, February 27, 2010.
- Enter a writing contest (or apply for a grant, or a fellowship, or something similar).
Go to a drive-in movie theater and watch a double feature.DONE, May 15, 2009.
- Go to a strip club and get a lap dance (bonus points if I am pregnant at the time).
- Visit Niagara Falls (U.S. and Canadian sides).
- Eat vegetarian dim sum in Chinatown (NYC) with Nova.
- Dye my hair blue.
- Serve a proper high tea, with everything made from scratch.
- Enter my knitting in competition at the county fair.
- Learn to can, make jam, preserve some fresh food. (This one is deliberately vague, as it will be farmer’s market dependent.)
- See the Grand Canyon.
- Learn the Thriller Dance (and maybe the Hammer Dance too).
- Make ice cream.
- Make a movie.
- Make mayonnaise.
- Dress head-to-toe in clothes I made (exception for shoes, undergarments).
Attend the roller derby.DONE, October 2, 2010
- Learn to fly an airplane.
- Get my teeth fixed.
- Learn how to darn socks.
- Take a sword fighting lesson.
- Host a writer’s retreat.
- Decorate my home to really reflect who I am, or better yet who I want to be.
- Design the costumes for a film.
- Host a craft night (or day) on a regular basis.
- Attend a sing-along (Sound of Music? Grease?) at the Hollywood Bowl.
- Pose for a boudoir photo shoot, by Laura Boyd or someone with similar sensibilities.
- Go to Disneyland.
- Compete in the Warrior Dash.