You guys. Do you know what does not photograph well at all? An unblocked hat. At least, this unblocked hat.
Also it might help if I did not attempt to take self-portraits of the top of my head in the bathroom and then make a half-hearted effort at color-correction. Bygones!
Some designs are written out in full before I cast on more than a swatch. This one went straight from the swatch to the needles. I knew that the only way to see if my idea would work was to DO it.
I changed the number of stitches between short rows from the swatch to the hat, to make the curve a bit less severe. I also did something a little different with the decreases, which you totally can’t see in these photos. I am debating adding some sort of embellishment like the floret in the original painting.
Overall, I really like the way this turned out. At least, I think I will like it once I block it. I have an idea for a variation, so I’m going to knit a second one in different yarn (pretty turquoise Manos!).