Sam is OBSESSED with Superheroes. All he wants to do all day is watch Batman, Superman, and Spider-man movies and cartoons. He’s been into Batman for ages, since before he’d even seen any, and his fourth birthday party was Batman-themed (though he wound up dressed as Iron Man at the party–I think it’s better not to question the logic).
Sam’s leggins were $4 at Target. His shirt is a black pocket tee that he already had, with a felt bat symbol stitched on in a few spots (for easy removal for washing–felt shouldn’t go through the machine). My mom bought his cape at this shop (it reverses to Superman).
The utility belt is my absolute masterpiece. I cut a 4-inch wide, 24-inch long piece of black felt, folded it lengthwise, and zig-zagged it shut. I took two pieces of yellow craft felt (minus enough for the symbol on his shirt) and cut rectangles of various sizes. One was sewn in half to make the buckle, with the bat symbol stitched on. The rest were sewn into pouches, three of which were sewn directly to the belt and two of which attach with snaps. The belt has two snap settings, making it adjustable for his waist, hidden by the “buckle.” I bought heavy-duty poster board at the art store and had Will cut bat-arangs out of it to fit in the front pouches of his belt.
For Grace’s Robin tunic I used the 90 Minute Shirt tutorial. I made the sleeves green because Robin wears a green leotard with a red tunic over it, and that seemed like an absurd number of layers for a ten-month-old in Southern California. The neckline is the only part I’m not thrilled with. When I went to Joann’s to pick up yellow ribbing for it, the store was in chaos and half the fabric was waiting to be re-shelved. I was out of time so I grabbed some double fold bias tape. Unfortunately, it had almost no stretch despite being cut on the bias, so it doesn’t look great. But it worked! I made the R symbol with felt and used embroidery floss to make the stitching down the front.
I made her leggins (in place of tights) the way I make bandanna pants, using a pair of her leggins as a pattern. The waistband–which you can’t actually see here–is done with elastic covered by more bias tape (I would have used ribbing for that too), to imply Robin’s utility belt.
I made her cape, based on Sam’s but a little smaller and with a snap instead of velcro.
Total cost was under $30 (not including Sam’s cape) and I have a ton of fabric left over. In fact, I found enough felt for a little side project…
(Incidentally, I spent ALL DAY on Halloween trying to get decent photographs. It was impossible. Not only were my models understandably uncooperative, but the light in my apartment SUCKS ASS. It is the Human Centipede of apartment lighting. Seriously. We are hoping to move in the new year and I think good lighting is above a good kitchen on my list of musts. And you know how much I cook.)