On Tuesday I sewed up Sam’s kimono top. He agreed to try it on and then refused to take it off!
Best sewing day ever.
I couldn’t remember if I’d pre-washed the fabric (bad sewist!) so I had my sister throw the three tops in with her laundry. I knew there was a chance of Grace’s top shrinking too much but I had to take the risk now rather than get a nasty surprise later.
After I finished the top, I cut out two pairs of pajamas, one for each kid, in a nice summer-weight fabric that I got at a yard sale a few years ago. The print is a map, of what I believe may be counties in Tennessee. I also began assembling everything I need to sew a Mei Tai baby carrier for me and a doll-sized version for Sam. If I am quick, they might be ready in time for his birthday! He has tried to put on the Ergo carrier, so I am hoping he’ll enjoy having his own baby carrier. (Ergo makes one for dollies, and I want to get that too. Greedy!)
Wednesday I intended to sew the pants together. Instead all I did was iron the kimonos. And by iron, I hope you do not assume that I actually made them look nice. Heh. Oh, no. In fact, after I turned on the iron I went to nurse the baby to sleep and my sister asked if I’d like her to iron them for me. “No!” I sobbed. “If I do it myself, today wasn’t a total wash!”
(Spoiler: day four is going better.) Anyway. The kimonos. I am sad that I didn’t sew these together sooner, because Gracie’s barely fits. It’s six month sized; she is currently wearing her 12 month sized longies. (!!) Oh well, hopefully I will get at least one or two wearings out of it for her, and she has Sam’s to grow into! I mean, if he ever takes it off.
I used the tutorial from Habitual, and made the 6 month size with no modifications (except as noted below) and the 3T size in 4T length for my stringbean. I am sure I wrote down the measurements I used for Dolly’s, but I can’t figure out where I wrote them down. If I find them, I will let you know, as it came out perfect.
Instead of 10″ ties, all three tops have snap closures. The binding is 2″ long on Dolly’s, 2.5″ on Gracie’s, and 3″ on Sammy’s. I am considering adding a little more length to Grace’s so it’ll fit longer, but the back is stretched tight enough across her shoulders (line backer!) that I may not bother. I attached the snaps with my industrial snap press, and was lucky enough to have the exact shade of orange I needed.