Remember how I spent over a year suffering from daily headaches? Yeah, that was fun. In September I decided to do something about it. I had an eye exam, got glasses with my current, correct prescription, and bought a better pillow. I’ve gone from taking ibuprofen 2-3 times a day to taking it 1-2 times a week. No kidding.
Right around the time I was making all of these changes, a company called Firmoo contacted me to invite me to review their glasses. I usually turn down review offers but I had literally just been fretting about wanting to have a spare pair, and who the hell turns down free stuff that they actually need? Not me, I tell you what.
I’ve always been highly skeptical about ordering glasses online. When I chose frames in-store, I tried on every pair that I even kinda liked, and one pair suited my face. ONE. But again: free. No risk. Firmoo has a virtual try-on option, where you upload a photo and input your pupillary distance so it can approximate how the frames will look. I chose a pair that I thought looked the most okay on me. (I wanted to get a similar style in red, but they were out of stock so I went with this grey one.)
I was very surprised to discover that the virtual try-on was fairly accurate!
- The frames do not sit entirely evenly on my face. This is because my ears are at very slightly different heights, so it is not Firmoo’s fault–however, it is a problem with ordering online vs. in person, since a brick and mortar store would have adjusted the arms for me.
- The arms are very thick, which looks cute but causes me to see them in my peripheral vision. Because of this I keep thinking that I am experiencing blurred vision. Again, something that would not have happened with a brick and mortar as I would have known ahead of time and not chosen these frames.
- My prescription is spot-on. In fact, I think it might be slightly better than the lenses in my (insurance) paid-for glasses.
- They also smudge less readily than my other glasses, though I admit it’s possible that’s because I wear them less frequently.
- The glasses came with both a hard case and a soft carrying case, a lens cleaning cloth, and a small glasses repair kit. That’s more than my optometrist gave me! (I am going to fiddle around with the repair kit to see if I can adjust the arms to fit better.)
Overall, I would absolutely recommend Firmoo. Every new customer gets their first pair free (you pay shipping, which I believe is quite reasonable–I did not pay shipping for my review pair).
I use mine as a spare/back-up pair, and use them primarily for watching TV/movies since I don’t use my peripheral vision for those. If you find the right frames, you could conceivably get your only glasses from Firmoo. And they have sunglasses too! The prices are very low compared to many other stores, and the virtual try-on is superior to other similar websites (I did a little research in the form of uploading my picture and trying on glasses all over the internet). My only real complaint is that none of the available frames are cat eye shaped.